Defensive driving is just a coined term for the performance of safe driving practices on the road. If you frequently drive daily and through heavy traffic, defensive driving is a great way to save yourself from tragic accidents. Defensive driving can start before you even get on the road. For instance, you can plan for your drive by looking up the weather and road conditions. Here are some other ways you can execute defensive driving:
- Check your mirrors periodically while you drive to be aware of the other vehicles around you.
- Be considerate and allow plenty of space for other vehicles to switch lanes. Switching lanes amid traffic can be dangerous, and trying to fight others trying to do it puts you at an increased risk of a vehicle accident. If you want to change lanes yourself, don't forget to use your signals.
- Maintain a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, just in case you have to brake abruptly.
- Be on the lookout for aggressive drivers who may not be paying attention to you and their blind spots.
- Most importantly, maintaining a safe and legal speed is the best way to practice defensive driving. It will save you from an expensive ticket too.
Defensive driving can take time to adjust to, but it can save lives. If your vehicle needs any repair or services to maintain your safety, please feel free to bring your vehicle to the professionals at Gowen's Automotive Repairs. You can call us at (770) 954-8299 to make an appointment.